跳到主要內容

When He Talks about Running

 
I finally finished reading Maruki Murakami’s running book, “What I talk about when I talk about Running”. It was my spring basketball book, then the summer swimming pool book. Fortunately I wrapped it up before the ski season.

Murakami is the most popular Japanese writer, as well as the most hopeful future Nobel Prize winner. This book is a memoir about his...running career. He has been a long distance runner for more than 25 years, almost as long as his writing career.

I do not enjoy running. But his book prompted me to try once--2.6 miles, about 1/3 of Murakami’s daily routine. I even dragged my sun-hating girl friend to run with me. By the way, it always puzzles me why most of the Asian girls believe that they are part of the Dracula family and they can’t be exposed to Ultraviolet. Anyway, the short running took us more than an hour. The pain on my overworked knees and ankles were unbearable. We stopped by Dairy Queen for ice cream at the half way, which I am sure of would not be part of Murakami’s routine either.

After I read the last part of this memoir, I understood why the running is not for me. He wrote: “Of course it was painful. But pain seems to be a precondition for this kind of sport. If pain weren't involved, who in the world would ever go to the trouble of taking part of in sports like the triathlon or the marathon? It's precisely because of the pain, we can get the feeling, though this process, of really being alive -- or at least a partial sense of it."

I can’t put myself in the situation where pain is assumed to be a part of it. So running can never be my sports. However, ironically, I still hurt myself too much doing things other than running. I probably secretly enjoy the pain, and the privilege to whine about it. Sometimes I struggled with my sense of existence. Well, once in my life I was stunned by a malfunctioned automatic door -- I thought I vanished. If you haven’t noticed, I need consistent reassurance of my existence. The pain would be a great reminder of not only being alive, but also being here. Although I do not particularly look for pain in my daily life, it still comes to me to fill the void from my insecurity.

In the end of the book, besides thanking Raymond Carver’s widow for granting the permission to use the idea of the book title “What We Talk about When We Talk about Love”, Murakami, or the publisher, put a note about the font that is used in the book. It’s very pleasant to read:

The text of this book was set in Electra, a typeface designed by W.A Dwiggins (1880-1956). It avoids the extreme contrasts between thick and thin elements that mark most modern faces, and it attempts to give a feeling of fluidity, power, and speed.
This is the first time I read about the font in the book, in the book.

I am very fussy about fonts. I can’t stand the randomness that people usually adapt to in terms of the font selection. I am a Calibri person. I try to use this font whenever I can, reports, spreadsheets, presentations, or emails. The funny thing is that there are occasions--more often recently, I would have to hide my identity in documents due to various reasons. Besides my especially poor grammar and spelling, the font would be another giveaway for people to trace my work back to me. In most of those cases, I would use Consolas instead. When I need to be extremely cautious, Arial is the font of choice. I can never put myself as low as Times New Roman though. Murakami said he wants to have this carved on his gravestone: “Writer (and Runner). At Least He Never Walked”. Maybe I would say “At Least He Never Used Times New Roman” on mine.

So I rushed back from the swimming pool, to look up what my particular font says about me. I would imagine Calibri is modern yet is fully engraved with history. It would reflect my attempts to be witty, humble, and logical. Anyway, here is what Wikipedia tells me:

Calibri is a humanist sans-serif typeface family under the Microsoft ClearType Font Collection. In Microsoft Office 2007, it replaced Times New Roman as the default typeface in Word and replaced Arial as the default in PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
So much for my pathetic effort to be unique.
 

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

惡夢

  我一直到一兩年前才不再每個月都夢到我在永和國中的導師。 他是一個個頭矮小,卻殘暴異常的兇狠角色。在體罰還是合法的年代裡,他很適度地扮演了那個時代的極端。我基本上來說不是一個會惹麻煩的學生,在依照模擬考成績排的座位裡,通常都可以分到安全區域的前一兩行。可是,不管是偶爾發生在自己身上的嚴重處罰--像是考試作弊被抓到,或是每天數次在公眾刑場見到的殘暴行徑,都變成後來需要很努力埋葬的記憶的一部分。 考試作弊是必需的,我甚至還需要跟其他功課不錯,負責掌管主要科目測驗卷的同學交換答案卷,我的國文,數學的謝寧,地理的黃國政,理化的陳柏宇(有趣的是一番填鴨以後上了建中,我卻怎樣也記不起大部分建中同學的名字),甚至是大家都用來捉狹的管英文的娘娘腔同學,都是這個小型經濟圈的一部分。我們需要以物易物,因為只有先知道答案,才能夠達到滿分,也就是不被體罰的安全線。嘗試扮演成人的我們,有時候也會把答案卷像是施捨一般賣給一般大眾,換來的是現在想起來少到不可思議的金錢,還有淺嚐即止的,用低劣的手段輕鬆掌握別人命運的權力感。 作弊被抓到的最嚴重一次,導師像瘋了一般用藤條抽打我的手指。他的體罰是職業化的,要讓學生痛,該打的是手指而不是手心,是小腿而不是屁股。雖然,他也可以抽打學生屁股到坐在椅子上會痛徹心肺的程度。有時候手邊沒有籐條,趕時間的他直接用指節在學生後腦來個爆栗也夠嚇人。那天,被狂鞭一陣的我回到座位上,兩隻手變成青紫色,指節間的淤血讓我連手也合不起來。更痛的是回家以後,因為隔天的作業還是要交,所以我偷偷找了媽媽的針線包,把淤血塊逐著挑開,才能夠握筆寫作業的過程。 一直到上了高中,大學,短暫而奇幻式的軍旅,出國念書,工作,我還是會每隔幾天,在夢中回到國中導師的講台。「方祖涵,你數學考八分!」他驚喜地說,像是終於抓到跟蹤許久的疑犯的警察,下意識地舔了舔自己的嘴唇,難掩對即將展開的私刑的興奮。考八分的那天我似乎是生病發燒,不過前一晚的確是貪玩沒有念書,而這一次貪玩的下場,是之後將近二十年的,怎樣也關不掉的重播畫面。 一兩年前的一個晚上,呂學燕先生又回到我的夢裡。他已經變成我生活的一部分,跟後來在不同階段喜歡的女人們,輪流而毫無創意地填滿我失去主觀意識之後的夜晚。跟之前夢境不同的是,這次站在講台上等著被處罰的並不是我。 我從門外看著他,狠狠地盯著他的眼睛(從來不敢如此,就算在夢中)。教室裡同學們跟...

中時觀念平台: <玩物喪志>

  這是在觀念平台的最後一篇,也沒有不寫小說的藉口了.原載十一月十七日中國時報,「何妨玩物喪志」. 開車上班的路上,聽的廣播是一群三十幾歲的年輕人主持的運動節目。每個星期五,這些主持人會對猜美式足球的勝負。除了他們自己之外,還有一個固定的來賓也參加他們的競賽。這個傢伙今年球季目前勝少敗多,不過他不服輸地說他剛剛失業,終於有時間多做比賽的分析,剩下超過一半的球季不會再輸了--他是馬里蘭州的現任州長,共和黨籍的羅伯.厄立克。而就在三天前的期中選舉,厄立克在共和黨慘敗的土石流裡,痛失了連任的機會。 馬里蘭州是美國第五大經濟體,面積跟台灣相近。厄立克在即將結束的任期當中,把他的高爾夫差桿從兩位數字降到個位數,同時,成功地消弭了一千四百億台幣的預算赤字,還留下七百億台幣的盈餘。雖然他開玩笑說自己從一月開始就要失業,可是這些動人的數據是不會被忽略的。 事實上,兩年後的共和黨總統可能候選人,前任紐約市長朱利安尼在厄立克落選後已經打了電話給他,要跟他討論未來的動向。朱利安尼是一個雪中送炭的好人,就像今年紐約洋基隊在季後賽第一輪打包回家,他在傷心之餘,不忘在媒體上公開呼籲洋基隊應該再給總教練托利一年的機會。正在籌備大選的他,今年還是經常出現在洋基主場,在台灣的王建民球迷對這個專業球迷應該不會陌生。 擊敗厄立克的民主黨候選人馬丁.歐馬利也不是省油的燈。 長相俊美的歐馬利 是現任的 巴爾地摩市長 ,曾經被雜誌封為美國最佳的年輕市長,也是民主黨在六年後的總統大選可能參選的人物之一。他擔任吉他手兼主唱的愛爾蘭搖滾樂團,「歐馬利遊行」,在他即將開始的州長任期裡面,應該會更受到矚目。 作州長的人勤練高爾夫,選總統的人看棒球,當市長的人玩樂團,在成語辭典裡面,這種事情叫做玩物喪志;當美國的新聞週刊訪問總統夫人吳淑珍的時候,她說她的先生除了政治以外,沒有別的嗜好,(我們的總統先生說他的妻子除了看電視跟玩股票以外,沒有別的嗜好),這樣的專一個性,在成語辭典裡面,叫做戮力從公。我們受到的東方教育告訴我們,戮力從公是好的,而玩物喪志是壞的。 西方教育一個很重要的理念,就是全人教育。一個完整的人,必須要在情感,心智,環境,財富,體能,職業,還有人際關係上面協調發展,而一個協調發展的生命,通常會發展出對身邊事務的嗜好。一個政治家,通常要能夠在各方面都顯示出過人的能力,才能夠獲得民眾的支持,在自己嗜好的經營上也...

印刻文學生活雜誌:< 在綠茵與文字之間:棒球如何被書寫、記憶與再造>

一、十九世紀的記錄與神話化 美國棒球文學的起點,不是小說,也不是詩,而是新聞報導。 十九世紀下半,美國社會在南北戰爭結束後進入工業化與現代化階段,棒球逐漸成為都市休閒的一部分,而文學書寫也從紀實與報導角度開始萌芽。最早的重要人物是被譽為「棒球之父」的亨利・查德威克 (Henry Chadwick) 。他不只是寫作棒球,更建立了理解棒球的語言。他所奠定並推廣的記分卡、打擊率與投手自責分率 (ERA) 等統計方式,不但塑造了球賽的邏輯,也給了未來作家分析與敘述的基礎。 這種以觀察與紀錄為主的文字並非純粹文學,但它為棒球的神話創造了第一層敘述背景。 1870 年代報章中的賽事報導開始加入英雄式語言:誰是最英勇的打者、哪支隊伍「以驚天一擊扭轉乾坤」,這些誇飾性語彙漸漸滲入國民敘事,尤其在 1907 年棒球被正式定位成「國民娛樂」 (National Pastime) 後,棒球書寫開始帶有一種建國精神的色彩。 另一個重要的神話構築來自關於陸軍少將阿布納.道布戴 (Abner Doubleday) 的傳說。雖然他其實與棒球的發明毫無關聯,當代學界共識是棒球源流更接近英式棒球 ( rounders) 與板球。但在 1905 年,由前國家聯盟總裁亞伯拉罕・米爾斯 (Abraham Mills) 領導,並由亞伯特・斯波丁 (Albert Spalding) 資助的米爾斯委員會,仍堅決宣稱是道布戴在紐約州古柏鎮「創造」了棒球。這個結論並未經過實證考察,完全建立於一封語意模糊的信件,卻迅速成為主流論述。這並非因為道布戴是真實的發明者,而是因為美國當時急需去歐化、純美式的文化象徵,神話就是如此誕生。 斯波丁本身是拿過兩百五十二勝的職棒投手,退役後成為體育用品商人,也是推動棒球全球化的關鍵人物。他的想法是一項運動若想成為「國球」,就不能只是場上的比賽,更必須具備可反覆敘述,教化後代,以及能被傳誦的神話。因此他積極透過出版與歷史改寫,讓棒球成為「美國精神」的具象化延伸,而道布戴神話正是這場文化建構的核心工程。 十九世紀的棒球書寫,往往充滿了道德寓言色彩,從報導走向故事,從統計走向象徵。早期小說與傳記文獻中,很多都像是斯波丁推廣的敘事文本,被用來教育年輕人如何成為好國民,如何從草莽拓荒文化轉型成工業時代的小螺絲釘,諸如遵守紀律、重視榮譽、公平競爭、減少個人主義等價值觀透過球場內外的畫面與轉述,被...